Sunday, June 24, 2018

Book Review: The Black Sheep by Patricia Ryan

Review
The Black Sheep (North Moon Bay Book 1) by Patricia Ryan

Hello all. I hope everyone has had a pleasant week. I’ve felt like death, but it’s no big deal. I was PMS-ing last week and started my period this week, so I’ve cried, had cravings (specifically chimichangas and caramel this month), and felt like the world was ending. I was lying on the couch reading when Loki (one of our many babies) looked at me. Loki’s a finicky cat. He hates anyone who isn’t Chris or me. He’s one of those a-holes who only wants to be pet when he feels like it. I’m used to it, so imagine my surprise when I call for him and he stares at me for a few solid seconds before walking away and jumping on the window sill (hint: I wasn’t surprised).
I burst out crying.
I was home alone (Chris took Willy (my baby brother) to the barber). I called him crying and asking him to come home because I missed him and Loki didn’t love me. He legitimately thought something else was wrong, but I insisted that’s why I was crying.
On the bright side, all this week I got to lay my head on Chris’s lap and read books without moving. Always look at the silver lining in life people. Don’t focus on what you don’t have, appreciate what you do! Unless you’re on your period and you don’t have chocolate. You get that damn chocolate.

Anywho, this was my first book by Ryan and it’s very easy for me to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I love finding new authors whose writing I like. But what I love more than that is finding a new author that has a series.

  
The Black Sheep (North Moon Bay Book 1) by [Ryan, Patricia, Ryan, P.B.]


"Catch me and you can have me."

He studied her eyes. "'Have me' meaning..."

"Have me for the night."

"For the purpose of..."

"For any purpose you want, although I've got a pretty good idea what that purpose will be. Even virgins aren't that dense."

Formerly titled Hale's Point

While house-sitting at a waterfront estate, sweet, straight-laced Harley is stunned by the arrival of her employer's supposedly dead son, an Alaskan bush pilot with a bad boy rep who's been wounded in an airplane crash. Coming home after years of estrangement--and a stint in prison--to make amends with the old man is difficult for Tucker, but not half as difficult as keeping his distance from the super-sexy but virginal Harley while they share the house, awaiting his father's return.

Having given up on the idea that he'll ever fully heal from his ravaged leg, Tucker balks when Harley urges him to swim as physical therapy--until she adds a unique incentive: "Catch me and you can have me." Her certainty that he'll never be able to swim that fast evaporates when he embarks on a rigorous training regimen, determined to claim her as his prize. But when she unearths the dark secret in his past, will she still be willing to pay up when the time comes?


*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

I’m a big fan of younger girl/older guy. I especially love when the guy feels like he’s holding the younger girl back from life or whatever (which wasn’t the case in this book, but still).
In The Black Sheep, our h (Harley) is a college student who had a rough upbringing. Her parents were addicts, one did the drugs while the other sold them. She grew up with uncertainty so she enjoys control. Anything out of the ordinary is a big nope for her. She’s watching the house of a man (R.H.) who is in his seventies while he is traveling around on his boat. Our H (Tucker) is the son of said man. He hasn’t seen his father is many years (I want to say twenty-one years, but don’t quote me on that). He’s been through some stuff, such as his mom offing herself when he was a boy, prison for a crime he didn’t commit, and a plane crash that really messed his leg up. They meet in a very unusual way. Tucker is breaking into his old man’s house because he knew he wouldn’t be home for the summer. He wasn’t counting on someone watching the place. It’s adorable, I loved it!

I love the way Ryan writes. It flows well and her characters have dimension. I’m one of those readers who just want to read about the characters and their interactions. I love details, don’t get me wrong, but when I spend twelve pages reading about what the h is wearing to dinner I want to kms. I didn’t have to worry about that with this book. With only a handful of secondary characters, it’s a real romance. You get to read about Tucker and Harley. It’s great.

Speaking of secondary characters, I hated Tucker’s best friend. His name is escaping me right now, but he’s a doctor whose marriage is in trouble. Why you may ask? Oh. Right. He hooked up with a nurse in a broom closet at the hospital he works at. He proceeds to try to hook up with Harley (who’s so naïve, she thinks he’s just being nice) all while claiming he loves his wife more than life.
Yeah.
No.
But he was a secondary character, Tucker didn’t condone his behavior. He even helps them get back together (even though doctor guy doesn’t deserve his wife).  

There was only one situation in the book that had me rolling my eyes. R.H.’s neighbors have a college-aged son who’s in love with one of the staff in their home. There’s this whole thing where staff-girl knows college-guy wants her, but she likes attention so she flirts with other guys. Our boy Tucker tells Harley that if someone shows college-guy some actual attention, then staff-girl will realize what’s right in front of her yada yada. So Harley goes over to him and makes out with him in front of her. I mean, Tuck and Har didn’t necessarily have labels, but really? They knew they were meant to be together. I shrugged it off though because she was “cheating” per say (I think that if your body part comes in contact with someone else who is not your love, it’s cheating. I have issues with cheating). Tucker was the one who suggested it and he was bemused when she did it. And spoiler: it worked! Staff-girl is suddenly in love with college-guy. I knew Harley wasn’t trying to make Tucker jealous (I mean, I’m sure it was in the back of her head but whatev).

Overall, it was a cute book. Harley and Tucker were so sweet, I have cavities. It’s one I read in one sitting, so a quick read (if you read a book in an hour like me). If I come across Ryan again, I’d read another one of her books.


Rating?
Three out of five stars.
Image result for three out of five stars

XOXO 
Kaysee Castor 

No copyright intended. Use of the material in this book is for an honest review only. I do not own anything here except my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment