Monday, December 5, 2016

Book Review: Fighting to be Free by Kirsty Moseley

Review:
Fighting to be Free by Kirsty Moseley

In honor of Worth Fighting For being released tomorrow, December 6th, 2016, I’m going to review the prequel of this fantastic novel by Kirsty Moseley.

My one-sided relationship with Kirsty Moseley began way back in the day, during the thriving days of Wattpad (kirsty1000 anyone??). I quickly read through her books including Nothing Left to Lose, The Boy Who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window, Always You, Free Falling, and, of course, Fighting to be Free.
After she began publishing, I bought the crap out of them. The Boy Who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window was such a hit with me my sophomore year, that I passed it around my English class (and I NEVER share my books, EVER. Only my opinion).
However, Fighting to be Free was the book that took the cake for me.




Fighting to Be Free published cover




Fighting to be Free cover whilst on Wattpad #memories

Jamie Cole has just been released from juvenile detention. Determined to go straight, he tried to cut ties with crime boss Brett Reye--but Brett has no intention of letting him go. Jamie's life is already more complicated than it needs to be, yet when he meets a beautiful stranger at a bar, Jamie knows he's in over his head.

Ellie Pearce has just gotten out of a terrible relationship and isn't looking for anything serious...until she meets Jamie. Their attraction is overwhelming and intense-she can't seem to shake her growing feelings for him, even though she's trying to keep it casual.

But when fate goes horribly wrong and Jamie's family is faced with ruin, he's forced to strike a deal with Brett. Despite his struggles, he wants nothing more than a future with Ellie. That's until Ellie finds out that he's been hiding more from her than she could ever imagine...

*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

It’s easy falling in love with fictional characters. I mean, how can you not when authors like Moseley write them in the exact way that makes you swoon?
Jamie Cole, for me, is one of the best.
I don’t know if it has something to do with the broken soul, the demons he carries, or the rough childhood he endured. Maybe it is the way that through all the negative, he still manages to be this angel with a soul. He didn’t let those things bring him down.

He worked his butt off so his sister could have a better life. He watched that precious baby die right before his eyes. He gave up his life and went to prison because he wanted to make sure that murdered got what he deserved.

Even through each of these things, he was still an AMAZING boyfriend to Ellie.
I mean, yes he did often put himself in harm's way, but he had reasons.
GOOD REASONS!
It doesn’t get much better than that.

And he’s sweet, aw so sweet.
Moseley writing is like a fine wine; it gets better with age. When she first started out, I’d smack my forehead and complain about how ridiculous some of her characters acted (I’m looking at you Riley!) I’d say the turning point for her was Fighting to be Free.
Ellie and Jamie just worked. Jamie is not a John Doe and Ellie is by far a Mary Sue. These aren’t characters you will be forgetting anytime soon.
Do I have anything to nitpick about this book? No, I can honestly say that NOPE, not a single thing makes me angry about this book. Sure, some of the characters (cough, Ellie’s evil mother, cough) make me angry, but it’s worth it. Moseley makes sure of that!

I hate cliffhangers/books where the couples do not get together in the end. Some say that endings like this are “realistic.” I’m not reading a romance/new adult book for realism though. I will honestly flip to the last chapter and make sure the couple is together at the end. Maybe that’s cheating or maybe that’s pointless, but I DON’T like investing my heart time into a book, just to be crushed and disappointed in the end.
That might make me overdramatic, but OMG, WHATEVER! CALL ME OVER DRAMATIC ONE MORE TIME AND I’LL SET MYSELF ON FIRE.
This book crushed me. Alas, Jamie does not meet Ellie at the airport (we know why, obviously because Jamie is a selfless angel, but Ellie thinks he’s an ass who doesn’t love her) and we’re left reading about a broken-hearted Ellie traveling the world while our baby Jamie is sitting in prison. :(
Back when I read it on Wattpad, the final author’s note states that Moseley is hard at work with the sequel and it’ll be done in the spring when she is finished!
I waited for the sequel… it didn’t come out in the spring. I waited, checked Wattpad, forgot about it for a minute, then checked again to see if it was out yet. Then she started publishing and I lost hope for a short while. I didn’t think she was going to publish it.
Then, as I sat in class one day and Jamie and Ellie popped into my head, I googled it.
I found out Fighting to be Free was being published and then a few short months later….
HERE COMES WORTH FIGHTING FOR!!!!
Broken with waiting for so long, my aching heart could finally beat again! So here I am, writing this review, dying, and waiting for the sequel to be published so I can get my fill of cute little Jamie and Ellie (my otp) and my little heart can go on.
But really, I don’t know if it can go on after this.

Rating?
Four and a half out of five stars.




Kaysee Castor


No copyright intended. Use of the material in this book is for an honest review only. I do not own anything here except my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment