Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Book Review: Worth Fighting For by Kirsty Moseley

Review: Worth Fighting For by Kirsty Moseley
(side note: Am I the only one who sings "A Girl Worth Fighting For" from Mulan every time I think of this book?? I've a girl back home who's unlike any other. Yet the only girl who'd love him is his mother)

Holy guacamole, holy guacamole.
I read the first book, Fighting to be Free, sometime in 2011 or 2012, when it was published on Wattpad. It was so amazing and I cried at the ending.
I believe Moseley was going to originally post the sequel on Wattpad, but then she started publishing.
I have been waiting four or five years for this book.
FOUR OR FIVE YEARS.

*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****



I prefer the first book with Jamie on the cover, but beggars can’t be choosers.


Sometimes in life you have to walk away…

Leaving Jamie Cole was the hardest thing Ellie Pearce ever had to do. Somehow, she moved on. She made a new life in a new city with a new man. So when a family tragedy calls Ellie back home, she believes all her old feelings for Jamie - the hunger, the heat, the heartbreak - are safely behind her. But the second she lays eyes on him, the intensity of their connection is as strong as ever.

Sometimes you stay and fight…

Jamie knows pain. He's felt it fighting in the streets, and he felt it fighting to survive in prison. Yet nothing he's experienced has been as painful as the day Ellie left - until the moment she came back. This time Jamie is determined to hold on to Ellie forever. But as much as she still loves him, she can't ignore the dark world he's now a part of. Jamie has enemies. Dangerous ones. And after seeing Jamie with Ellie, they know exactly how to take him out…

*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

It’s true what they say about having high expectations: you will always be let down.

I can’t believe how disappointed I was with this book. After the long years of waiting, I was beyond excited. I went to class today, took a quiz, went home, and read the book until I was finished.
I should note that I still absolutely adore Jamie Cole. Moseley wrote him perfectly in both Fighting to be Free and Worth Fighting For.
Ellie Pearce was okay. I liked her character more in the first book.
Where should I start with this book?
For starters, the death of Ellie’s dad hurt. He was an amazing character and he loved Ellie and Jamie more than life. I know his death was purposeful for the plot, but it really just sucked.
I liked Toby, Ellie’s fiancé, he was a great character, but her being engaged was a waste of time. In my opinion, the story would’ve been exactly the same with or without it.
I feel like Moseley included the fiancé to show that Ellie matured or maybe to make it seem like she was over Jamie.
Neither were true.
She obviously still loved Jamie and the way she treated Toby/the way she acted a majority of the time just showed her character needed some work.
Ellie and Toby were still together about 75% of the way through the book. Then, when they did break their engagement off, it was like his character and her life in England never even existed. It was ignorant. She immediately jumps on Jamie liked they weren’t apart for three years.
She cheated on Toby. Yes, it was a kiss. Some people say kisses don’t count, but I’m old fashion and it absolutely counts to me.
I hate that she didn’t tell Toby too, she could at least give him that much.
I also despise the fact that Jamie and Toby didn’t meet one. single. time.
SERIOUSLY?
Moseley: if you’re going to make Ellie have a fiancé, you could at least let the two guys meet.
It seemed like Toby had no idea Jamie even existed. They were in a room together like once, I think, during Michael’s funeral.
I can’t fathom why the first half of the book practically didn’t have anything to do with them as a couple. Like yes, I understand it is a New Adult/Romance novel, it doesn’t revolve around them kissing and the reader needs to know what the main characters have been up to. But it just went on and on about the accident and boosts and the reader only gets a glimpse of Jamie and Ellie actually being in the same room every few chapters. 
I would be reading and get so bored that I sat my kindle down and stared at the wall because it was more interesting.
Towards the end of the book, when they were finally together again, it felt rushed. They were back together. BAM. Slept together. BAM. In a car accident and abducted by Jamie’s enemies. BAM. Ellie kills the guy responsible for her dad’s death. BAM. They move out of the town. BAM.
Like. Seriously.
Ellie killing Ed (who was apart of Jamie’s crew) seemed like it was in character. He was about to kill Jamie, he killed her dad. There was a gun and she did what she had to do.
It was the aftermath of the murder that bothered me.
They couldn’t go to the police, I’m not an idiot. But Jamie was just like “we can never talk about this ever.” And Ellie’s like “okay.”
Sure, she ended up having nightmares but it all just didn’t flow right.
If I’m being completely honest (which I am in my reviews, OBVIOUSLY), the only good thing about this book for me was the fact that Jamie and Ellie were reunited and the only reason I cared about that was because it made Jamie happy.
I just… I’m sitting here with Chris as I write this, complaining, and close to tears because of this book.
It’s sad really.
I would recommend Moseley to anyone who loves to read and even people who don’t like to read. I feel like she’s an author that would make someone like to read! I know the sequels are never better than the original, but I had still had high hopes. Really.
The fact that this review is so negative really hurts me as a longtime fan.

Rating?
It kills me to type this, but it would be a lie if I didn’t rate it this way.
And unlike Ellie, I’m all about honesty.
Two and a half out of five stars.


Kaysee Castor


No copyright intended. Use of the material in this book is for an honest review only. I do not own anything here except my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment